TITLE: Seasonal Public Works Laborer
Status: Part Time/Seasonal
Hours: Anticipated Hours Late May-Mid September 20 hrs max.
REPORTS TO: Municipal Supervisor
DATE JOB DESCRIPTION COMPLETED: May 3, 2021
PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION: This is a laborers position that can perform a variety of unskilled duties related to maintaining the Townships infrastructure, services, facilities and assets. This position requires the employee to perform manual labor in the maintenance and repair of Township roadways, parks, docks, cemeteries, buildings, facilities, grounds, and signage.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Maintains and repairs Township roads, parks, buildings, facilities and grounds, and equipment.
- Operate manual, pneumatic, and power maintenance tools and equipment.
- Remove trees, fallen limbs, and debris from parks, cemeteries, and township properties.
- Cut grass and maintain grounds in township open spaces, parks, trails and along township roadways.
- Operation of township vehicles, such as pickup trucks and tractors.
- Operate public works equipment essential to the position, (shovel, broom, weed whacker, chainsaw, lawn mower, etc.)
- Clean various buildings including bathrooms as required.
- This is a physically demanding position and the individual must be in good physical condition and be able to walk, crouch, climb and carry heavy objects for extended periods and be able to work in all types of weather conditions.
- The above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this position; they are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications of this position. Employee must perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Practice and maintain safe equipment operations and safety knowledge of job responsibilities by adhering to departmental, local, State and Federal guidelines and laws.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to sit and perform fine manipulation, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, occasionally.
- Ability to withstand exposure to weather, vibration, high noise levels, traffic hazards and dusty conditions, occasionally.
- Ability to work with moving machinery, slippery and uneven surfaces, confined spaces, and unprotected and protected heights, occasionally.
- Ability to work closely with others.
- Ability to be able to understand standard operating procedures and rules and regulations within the organization.
- Basic knowledge of electrical, construction, landscaping, carpentry, mechanics or other related skills, preferred.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Driver License,
- Any equivalent of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work will be considered.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to stand, walk, climb ladders, use his or hands, to operate tools or reach objects. The employee is occasionally required to push, pull, lift or move objects that weigh in excess of 100lbs. While performing the essential duties of the position, the employee may be exposed to heights, dust, noise and moving parts. Due to the nature of the position the employee must be able to work in all weather conditions.